Can't switch cams, VFW cams not detected

Report and discuss bugs here!
zoomkat

Can't switch cams, VFW cams not detected

Post by zoomkat »

I've got an Intel USB cam, a brooktree based capture card, and a Winnov capture card in my computer. When yawcam is initally started, only the USB and the brooktree sources are recognized (they use the WDM drivers). Either can be selected, but there appears not to be a way to later switch between these cam sources if desired. Re running the cam detect function never brings up the WDM pane where the cam can be switched. The Winnov card is never detected as a cam source.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

A device you are trying to use with Yawcam must support VFW (Video For Windows). If not so, the device will not be detected by Yawcam.

You should be able to select among the already detected devices in a dropdown menu in the camera setting in Yawcam. (Settings -> Edit settigns... -> Camera)

If this won't work you could try to edit the settings file by hand and see if this makes any difference.
Open you yawcam_settings.xml located in your yawcam directory (i.e. c:\program files\yawcam\yawcam_settings.xml).
Right after the line:

Code: Select all

<object class="yawcam.SettingsHolder"> 
Add the following lines:

Code: Select all

<void property="cam"> 
   <int>1</int> 
</void> 
Save the file and try to start Yawcam again. If the <int>1</int> doesn't work, try to type <int>2</int> instead.

/malun
zoomkat

Post by zoomkat »

I tried the suggested changes and they cause an error (not sure what application is needed to properly edit an xml file, notepad shows it contains non printable characters). My cam/capture card works with netmeeting, webcam32, ivista, webcam2000, etc., which all see the wdm and vfw devices. In these applications, in dropdowns, wdm and the winnov capture card are listed. If I chose wdm, then I get a choise between the brooktree card or the intel USB cam. If the brooktree card is chosen, then in the sources I can select between the two video inputs on the card. similar, if I chose the winnov capture card instead of the wdm, when I go to sources I have the option to chose between the three video inputs on that card. This is pretty much standard with the previously mentioned webcam applications. With yawcam, I don't get any choises like these. When it first starts, I get the choise between the brooktree card or the intel cam. After this, when select camera is selected under edit, only one line is displayed containing "vfw:microsoft wdm image capture (win32):0 :vfw://0" is displayed, with no observable choises to change anything. As my capture devices seem to lwork with most all other capture applications, I suspect that it is a yawcam issue.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

You should be able to edit the xml file with an ordinary texteditor. (Like notepad)
Ok, now I have checked with notepad. I get real carachters, but the line breaks doesn't work. When I edit the files I use "Ultra Edit 32" but most editors should work...

I suspect that it is a yawcam issue
I think your suspicion is correct. Or at least it's an JMF issue. Yawcam uses this library to handle the communication with the capture devices. This library is sometimes a bit limited and that's something we just have to live with.

/malun