Yawcam hangs on Windows log-off

Report and discuss bugs here!
Erik

Yawcam hangs on Windows log-off

Post by Erik »

I'm running Yawcam version 0.3.6 on Windows XP. Whenever I log-off I receive a "Program not responding" message and need to click on End Now before Windows will log me off. This is not a big issue. I am just wondering if there is a quick fix?
chaseat99

Post by chaseat99 »

I have the same problem. I can no longer use an automatic reboot schedule for my weather station because YawCam will not close. Maybe a problem with Java 6. Java says it is the latest update.
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

Same here. It's definitely something that changed in the latest Java update and not directly caused by Yawcam. It would be nice if Yawcam could be modified to work around it though. I haven't noticed problems with other programs but then most don't rely on Java.

Brian.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I guess Malun will have to look into it, I know the last Java update was for Java 7, which could be a source of lots of issues to come.
efkeebler

same problem here

Post by efkeebler »

I'm having the same problem - if I don't quit Yawcam before shutting down Windows, Yawcam hangs and Windows won't continue shutting down until I manually force-quit Yawcam. A fix to this problem would be *very* much appreciated! :)
memoric

Post by memoric »

I don't have a real solution (I guess this is up to Malun or Sun to fix) but those who
want a scheduled reboot, they can create another scheduled task pointing to a .bat
file, & starting e.g. a minute earlier, which would contain the following commands:

Code: Select all

taskkill /im javaw.exe /f /t
exit
That would "kill" yawcam without any confirmation message.

If you want to include the "reboot" command in this, so you'll have only one scheduled
task, then it'd be like this:

Code: Select all

taskkill /im javaw.exe /f /t
shutdown -r -f -t 10
exit
"-t 10" means that your computer will reboot in 10 seconds. the "-f" switch would do
the yawcam-killing too I guess, since it means "kill all running processes without
confirmation", but include the first line too to be more certain. :wink:
betwixt

Post by betwixt »

I think this is supposed to be fixed in the last 0.3.7 but it still hangs on my system as before. The other 'undocumented features' seem to be working fine though.

Brian.
efkeebler

same here

Post by efkeebler »

Version 0.3.7 is still hanging for me as well. :(
efkeebler

Post by efkeebler »

This still seems to be an issue with 0.3.8 - if I try to shut down Windows XP without first closing Yawcam, then Yawcam will not close automatically (as other programs do) and Windows will not shut down.
Erik

Hang on Exit

Post by Erik »

I just discovered, if I set YAWCAM to save an offline image on exit, it shuts down normally instead of hanging.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I have done some tests in Windows XP together with java 1.6.0_13 and 1.6.0_24 and 1.7.0_05.
I have also tested with Windows 7 and java 1.7.0_05.
All tests running Yawcam 0.3.8.

But I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

What version combination of java, windows and yawcam do you use when the problem occurs?

It's possible that this behavior depends on the webcam driver. (Are you using the latest drivers?)
What webcam are you using? I have been testing with Logitech webcams now.

/malun
Erik

Post by Erik »

This has never been a big deal!

I have Windows XP SP3 with all updates.
Java Version 7 Update 5
Yawcam version 0.3.7
I am using a Logitech QuickCam Ultra.

I also have the logitech QuickCam software and Logitech QuickCam Driver Package inatalled. (Version 11.0.0)

I wonder if this issue is caused by the QuickCam software. I recently discovered that, if I want to change the zoom level in Yawcam, I have to close Yawcam, launch the QuickCam software and make the change. Then close QuickCam and relaunch Yawcam. So, even if the QuickCam software "is not running", it still affects the operation of Yawcam.

I see Yawcam 0.3.8 is available - I will update!
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

The QuickCam software access the webcam's driver settings.
This is the same settings that yawcam uses and they are also accessible from yawcam.
Click: "Settings -> Device (Logitech QuickCam Ultra) -> Device properties..."
This will bring up the native driver's settings page.
From there you can change the zoom level and more.

Apparently I didn't do my tests with the latest drivers :oops:
I did tests with an old quickcam for notebooks running driver version 8.4.1 (latest driver is 8.4.8 )
And some tests with a Webcam pro 9000 runnnig driver version 13.10.1216 (latest driver is 13.31.1044 )

Did an update on the drivers for the 9000 cam, but still no problems rebooting the computer. (This was on a Windows 7 computer though, but that's the computer I had access to right now...)

Can you reboot the computer without problem if you are running the software that Logitech supplies with the driver?

/malun
Erik

Post by Erik »

I am sorry for not replying sooner but, for some reason, I couldn't connect to the forum.

This problem has gone away. I can no longer reproduce it.

I have installed the latest camera software from Logitech. Unfortunately, their new software does not set the white balance correctly. Grrrr