Suddenly can't connect to cameras

Report and discuss bugs here!
tldorries

Suddenly can't connect to cameras

Post by tldorries »

All of a sudden, Yawcam can no longer connect to a camera. I have a USB cam and the laptops built-in cam. Both were working fine a few days ago. Now Yawcam can't connect to either one of them. It can detact them, just not connect.
Any ideas?
MA_Angel

Re: Suddenly can't connect to cameras

Post by MA_Angel »

I just encountered this problem with my Windows 10. Microsoft made their monthly system updates, and afterwards, the Logitech C910 webcam could be detected yet unable to be selected for use with Yawcam. Anyway, checked the list of programs and applications that are currently installed on the PC, and noticed that new Logitech drivers were automatically installed with this Windows 10 Update. I just uninstalled that Logitech software, rebooted, and let the new drivers automatically re-install again, and I was able to 'Change to' the webcam then. This was obviously an issue with the Windows' forced update process nowadays... :x
MA_Angel

Re: Suddenly can't connect to cameras

Post by MA_Angel »

Apparently, the new camera driver wasn't the only issue... This problem re-appeared after a few more updates and/or reboots. Yawcam would now start normally with its splash screen flashing just briefly, then nothing happens, and program seems terminated on its own without any error indication. Others might already be aware of this issue but I wasn't, and this problem was solved by:

Start > Settings > Privacy > Camera > [Enable] 'Allow apps to access your camera'

Yawcam should work as normal now. Yawcam had been working fine for me with this option disabled in past versions of Win10, but the latest updates require it to be enabled now, FYI.

Although not required for enabling Yawcam to work properly, but scroll down to the 'Choose which apps can access your camera' section, review and disable any app that might be of concern. BTW, Yawcam does not appear in this list of apps though...