Problem with FTP?

Report and discuss bugs here!
PaulH

Problem with FTP?

Post by PaulH »

Help!

I've just started using Yawcam under Vista, have hit a snag.

If I have it set to just write images to .JPG files every few minutes (for timelapse photographs), it's fine.

However, if I try to upload a single .JPG to my website using the in-built FTP, it stops all network comms. I'm not sure technically what happens, but I can't connect to anything as soon as I enable FTP - not even the router. I know I've got the right FTP params (they're identical to what I used to use in FWINK) so I'm at a bit of a loss.

This is absolutely repeatable - spent some hours last night rebooting Vista. Internet connection via Belkin router on network.

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance
Paul H
nikkikrish

Post by nikkikrish »

I'm the same. Fwink fine for FTP but Yawcam locks the computer and needs a reboot. Does Yawcam use passive FTP whereas Fwink allows active?
TimR

Post by TimR »

I'm seeing a similar problem that you describe. I'm running on XP Tablet Edition, Toshiba Portege PC, Philips Vesta webcam. Sometimes I get a blue screen too. All other Yawcam 0.3.0 functionality works well until I try and FTP images. The file is created on the host server and a few kB of corrupt data is there. Fwink works fine with same configuration.

Yawcam works reliably to the same host server from another PC.
ted_deits

Post by ted_deits »

I am having the same problem with Vista. The FTP stops after a few minutes to maybe one hour. This is a consistent failure.

I might simply save the .jpg locally, and use a separate FTP program (robotic) to move the local .jpg to my server. Not an elegant fix, but a fix anyway.

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
ted_deits

Post by ted_deits »

It seems that a few of the external FTP programs that I have used have created a permissions problem under Vista. When the Yawcam saves an image, and the FTP (yawcams) goes to grab that image at the same time the image is being written, it generated a permissions problem where the image is stored., resulting in a error.

I discovered this problem while using other FTP programs to send the locally saved image under Yawcam. I selected the properties for the file and set it to "share". So far, the problem is gone. (About six hours now).

I hope that helps explain the problem. This is only under Vista.

Here is a rather detailed, and frankly overdone example of how to set things up http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 27037.aspx

My Yawcam has been running for three days with no errors, no lockups. Smooth. (Three days now)