outdated SSL ciphers

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
fk519

outdated SSL ciphers

Post by fk519 »

My email provider tech support suggested my problem with motion detection emails may be outdated SSL ciphers in Yawcam.
If this is case, can this be fixed?
malun
Site Admin

Re: outdated SSL ciphers

Post by malun »

Yes, it looks like some email providers have decided to not support some older crypto ciphers that Yawcam still uses. So the ciphers needs to be updated in a new release of Yawcam.
There is however a workaround: To manually replace/update the mail library used in Yawcam.

Follow these steps for a fix:
0) Exit Yawcam
1) Download the file mail.jar from: https://www.yawcam.com/files/mail.jar
2) Copy mail.jar into Yawcam's lib directory. This would typically be: C:\Program Files (x86)\Yawcam\lib
3) Replace the old mail.jar in this folder. (You will probably need admin rights for this)
4) Start Yawcam and try to send mail again.

This fix has been confirmed to work with Yahoo's smtp server.

/malun
franc

Post by franc »

Thanks! This worked :)

I didnt use Yawcam for a good while and re-opened it but noticed that email is not working.
So I found this thread and changed the mail.jar and now it works :)

The email server is my own, I guess I configured it to meet with the latest security requirements, so old cryptos are not accepted or so.
Dont know exactly, but much better to use actual crypt standards. So you could do an update to e.g. 0.7.1 with a fix on this?
Thanks!

By the way: Yawcam is a great application! Many many features and all free! Thanks for that!

frank
Last edited by franc on Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lauryfriese

Post by lauryfriese »

Website browsers automatically check the SSL of the website every time you try to connect to it. It’s a way to prove that the accessed website is genuine and has implemented the correct protocol to secure your connection. Drift Boss
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Just to let you know... Yawcam version 0.8.0 has updated SSL ciphers and don't need the workaround described above.
/malun