Feature request - is it possible to use hardware MJPEG support

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
bgrh

Feature request - is it possible to use hardware MJPEG support

Post by bgrh »

Hello,

I'm using yawcam for MJPEG streaming. However, the speed is not that high (I assume to have 1920x1080x30 fps, but getting about 2-10 fps).

So basically I have 2 issues:

1) Pin selection is not saved on restart. I select I420 settings, but after restart it's getting back to MJPEG settings

2) Cpu usage. When I'm using 420 settings, CPU usage is about 20%, when i'm using MJPEG settings, CPU usage is 60-80%. But i assumed that the CPU usage should be lower, as camera is already providing hardware MJPEG output! Is it possible to just use it without recompression?

To test this, I open VLC with http://localhost:8090/video.mjpg?q=100&fps=1 (I experimented with q and fps values, but they doesn't seem to have much effect on the result). But the recorded video is usually having about 2-10 fps. Is it possible to increase the FPS to at least stable 15?
Attachments
i420_pin.PNG
i420_pin.PNG (10.52 KiB) Viewed 12846 times
mjpg_pin.PNG
mjpg_pin.PNG (10.48 KiB) Viewed 12846 times
malun
Site Admin

Re: Feature request - is it possible to use hardware MJPEG support

Post by malun »

1)
Try to change the settings by clicking: "Settings -> Device(X) -> Change to device..."
That dialog might work better.

2)
That cpu usage sounds high. What kind of cpu does your computer have?
Are these numbers for Yawcam or for the total system?
It's not possible to do MJPEG streaming in Yawcam without re-compression. Yawcam needs an uncompressed image to able to modify the image and add for example text or image overlay.

3)
Regarding fps. Open the settings:
"Settings -> Edit settings... -> Stream -> Additional settings ..."
and increase the "ImageProducer rate" to 30 fps.
That will probably help a bit.

/malun
bgrh

Re: Feature request - is it possible to use hardware MJPEG support

Post by bgrh »

1) Aha, I see, will try. But this window lacks fps showing - so the format combobox contains duplicates entries (see attach): Could you please add fps there?

2) I have old CPU, Core 2 Duo E6300. However, if i start FFMpeg to do the MJPEG HTTP streaming without re-encoding of JPEG images, the cpu usage is low - 2-3%, peaking 5% in task manager. So that's why I'm asking to have a hardware support or MJPEG streaming without re-encoding.

I think you can make a checkbox - passthrough MJPEG stream untouched, which should disable all overlay options when selected, but it will significantly decrease CPU usage - you may just need to decode MJPEG for motion detection, if motion detection is selected.

3)
It's already set to 30, but on the client side i'm getting the small amount of FPS :-(
Attachments
duplicates_combobox.PNG
duplicates_combobox.PNG (11.32 KiB) Viewed 12753 times