Yawcam is not running with JAVA 8 update 25

Report and discuss bugs here!
kellerbahner

Yawcam is not running with JAVA 8 update 25

Post by kellerbahner »

Hallo together,
I'am new in this forum and I hope for your help.
Thanks for the great free software.

I installed a new PC with WINDOWS 7 32 bit.
For to run YAWCam I installed JAVA 8 Update 25.
YAWCam terminated immediately after start. Sorry i had not listed the Error message.

Then I uninstall JAVA 8.
I shutdown the PC and after restart I
installed JAVA 7 Update 72.

YAWCam was running normaly.

Is there a workaround to RUN YAWCam with the newest JAVA Version (2015 there is no more update support for JAVA 7)

thanks

Werner
Siewert

Re: Yawcam is not running with JAVA 8 update 25

Post by Siewert »

There is...
Just install Java 8 but also install "Java SE Development kit 7"

I also ran into this with Java 8 on my NAS with Yawcam.
In my debugging process i noticed on my laptop Yawcam with Java 8 was working.
So my first thought was Java 7 development kit as i use this for my Android rom development.
Installed it on my NAS and Yawcam worked...
Skotzmun

Post by Skotzmun »

I'm also getting an error which has only started happening since the last Java update. The error message says:

Error: Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion' has value '1.8' but '1.7' is required.

Before coming onto the forum I downloaded and re-installed the latest version just to make sure - did not cure the problem.

Hurrah for software breaking other software. :(

Hope the project is still being actively maintained as it was a brilliant piece of webcam code and I will be sorry to lose it.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I too am having the same problem. Yawcam will not startup. Found this fix in the "general section" and it worked for me.

running the debug batch file ("C:\Program Files\Yawcam\debug_start.bat") starts the app fine
kellerbahner

Post by kellerbahner »

Hi Snowman,

thanks for your answer.
In the next week I will have time to test the "debug_start.bat".

I will report whether it is running or not .

thanks

Werner
Skotzmun

Post by Skotzmun »

Hi Snowman - thanks for that.

I was having the same issues and can confirm that the "debug_start.bat" fixed it for me. Thanks for pointing it out.

Kind regards

Skotzmun
corwyyn

Post by corwyyn »

I just joined the forum because I am having the same issue. This past weekend I reformatted the hard drive on my old computer, reinstalled Win7 Home Premium and then did fresh installs of both Java 8.25 and Yawcam 0.4.1. When I go to start Yawcam normally I get the 'Unable to start application' message however running the debug_start batch file will get it to load. I had used Yawcam on this computer previously (0.3.6 with Java 7.x) without any problems, this time I was looking to remove a bunch of old data so that I could dedicate this particular computer to running my weather station software and webcam. I currently have a shortcut to the debug-start batch file in my startup folder so that it will load whenever the system powers on but the catch is that I get a message which needs to be acknowledged (something to do with the registry editor) before Yawcam will start, so if I am away from home when the system reboots from say a system update then the webcam will be offline until I can acknowledge the registry message.

If needed I can attach a copy of the debug log to see if it can shed some light on what is happening.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

This is such a bummer. I have been using Yawcam for years. It is the best I have found anywhere, but looking at the dates of bug problems and lack of answers, it appears the author is no longer supporting the software. I have been looking at alternative software, but haven't found anything that has all the features of Yawcam....
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Hi Snowman, the solution to this problem was posted on the General page. If you have a problem that you think hasn't been solved, please open a new thread and provide as many details as possible.

The issue with Java 8 is that the environment variable is wrong, but there is a guide to correct that.
Markos12

Post by Markos12 »

Have the same problem, will look for the fixed mention.
Also came across another good program, not free though, search *Removed by z3r0c00l12* in google. It has a trial you can try.

EDIT 2015-02-03: removed third party application name.
JustFax

Post by JustFax »

Getting Yawcam 0.4.1 to run with Java 8.xx on a Windows 7 computer can be done. I know this because I did it. On one of Malun's posts, he indicates that if you enter "java -version" into a Command Window and get a result that Windows can find Java, then all is well and Yawcam should run okay. This is very wrong and has been misleading me and probably others for quite some time.
After you have uninstalled older version(s) of Java and then installed Java 8.xx, you must remove what Java 8.xx has put into your Environment Path and then replace it with the correct path to "java.exe". On my computer the correct path was: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin" preceded by a semicolon if you put it at the end of your Path or followed by a semicolon if you put it at the beginning of your Path. If you are unsure how to modify your Path, go to your Control Panel, click on "System", "Advanced system settings","Environment Variables","Path", "Edit", then delete the incorrect path put there when you installed Java 8.xx, and then paste in the correct path.
I hope this clears up what has been a mystery and a point of failure for many Yawcam users.